Wednesday 16 December 2015

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Review:

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Wow, just wow... This is going to take some time to digest.

 

This I chose as my banned book for the 2015 Pop Sugar reading challenge, and after reading it I can see why.  Drugs, sex and conditioning all combine to create a "utopian" stable society, in which test tube babies are the norm, and the idea of birth and family is disturbing.

 

The reference to Henry Ford being God and the model T being held sacred amused me greatly, though I'm not entirely sure why.  The clash of cultures between civilised London, where promiscuity and drugs are the norm, and the 'savage' reservation, where marriage and childbirth still occur. is interesting.  

 

The lengths the world controllers go to, to keep the peace is quite astonishing. Daily rations of the drug Soma, encouraged promiscuity, ideas of religion (except Ford) abolished, art which does not promote their ideals banned.  Ideals which, in part, remind me of the Nazi ideals of the era in which the book was written.  

 

Stories of human nature and conditioning always seem to leave a mark on me, this one is no different. I gave Brave New World 4/5 stars.

 

 

Original post: cafebiblioaus.booklikes.com/post/1304358/brave-new-world-aldous-huxley

No comments:

Post a Comment